Thursday, February 2, 2012

Why Having Compassion for the Handicapped and the Mentally / Physically Ill and Less Fortunate in Our Society is So Important For You and Me:



Why I write about having compassion for the handicapped, the mentally ill, the unfortunate in our society... 


My third daughter at 10. She is now 18. Some say she is "handicapped,"
I say she is "beautiful and perfect!"


I have received a mail asking why I write about the recent episodes concerning time spent in drug rehabilitation in a mental institution in Japan... Well, I have, in the past, written much about sharing our time, money and lives with the less fortunate like children with incurable diseases and about my own daughter's fight with a deadly childhood cancer. The episodes on drug rehabilitation begin in Drug Rehab at Asia's Most Famous Hospital - Part 1 (Life in the Cooler) Upon Arrival to Rehab Everyone Must Detox in the Feared Cooler


At first, the goal of these posts was to place "on paper" what had happened as a record before time completely destroyed the memories. It was also a sort of purgatory for my soul and to cleanse myself of some of my past deeds. On a more mercenary note, the stories, I think, are great stories and exciting and make a fascinating read (if I am able to write and do justice to what I witnessed). I wanted to, and still intend to, do something with this material whether it is a book or a screenplay.


I do that for posterity and for money... If I could get those...


As I began writing the episodes for Drug Rehab at Asia's Most Famous Hospital at first I wanted to make people laugh at the absurdity of the entire thing... I still do, but there is also something that I think needs to be said about it all. As I began writing more there is something to be said that is, of course, just not funny about this situation and how these poor folks are treated like outcasts. I also want people to understand a few very simple and important things about hospitals and people in them.


First off there is a fine line between what is insane and sane in our society. I'm certainly not the first to ever say that. We need to show more compassion, humanity and kindheartedness to people who are sick and in hospitals whether those people are there for physical or mental handicaps, incurable or terminal diseases...


Secondly, there are a very many of us who are quite fortunate in this world. We need to give back some of our good luck to those less fortunate. There are also those in this world, the vast majority who don't wish to admit their illnesses who also need our compassion and understanding.


Thirdly, even though they are not in a hospital now, there are so many right next to us who have all sorts of problems and addictions. There are families right next door to ours that are suffering from children with illicit drug problems or parents who have the same with over-the-counter drugs and pain medicines. There are many who are living secret lives of shame by having affairs or gambling or drink problems. There are many who do, or are on the receiving end of, domestic violence. There are many who have small children who will fall to the devastation and unfortunate occurrence of an incurable disease within the next 24 hours! 


Living a happy a productive life in this mixed up confused world is more and more difficult as the days go by. Let those of us who can and do live good lives show the world that we do care by our actions and not just by our words.


They say that "What goes around, comes around." I know the shock and devastation that comes with having your healthy child one day stuck down with a deadly disease. I also know the struggles and life shortening battles that come with.


I hope by reading some of these blog posts that you can become more thankful of what you have. 


But that's not everything and don't think that I am such a magnanimous guy. No. Even though I went to war with a childhood cancer and have a loving daughter who is wheelchair bound for her entire life; and even though I have suffered through terrible drug abuse and all sorts of marital problems... Even though I have been through these things. I am lucky. I am fortunate. I am thankful.


As they say, "It is not happy people that are thankful. It is thankful people who are happy."


We need to share what good we have. We need to spread hope. A little kindness and compassion go a long way. We need to be thankful and we need to share that in the short time we are here.

No comments:

Top 3 New Video Countdown for May 6, 2023! Floppy Pinkies, Jett Sett, Tetsuko!

   Top 3 New Video Countdown for May 6, 2023!!  Please Follow me at:  https://www.facebook.com/MikeRogersShow Check out my Youtube Channel: ...