Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Glen Campbell Lives in a Japanese Grocery Store Near My House


The sad news is that Glen Campbell has passed away. I really liked Glen Campbell when I was a kid. He was on TV and had lots of nice songs that a ten-year-old like me would like... And I did.

Glen Campbell is gone and all that are now left are his songs and his legend... 

But, in Japan, in at least one store, the legend of Glen Campbell lives on and, judging from past history, it will continue to live on for a very long time to come. 




At OK Store in Yoga (Setagaya-Ku, Tokyo, Japan), there's a daily tribute of sorts to Glen Campbell and it's been going to for at least the last fifteen years since the store first opened. 

"OK Store" is a well-known grocery store chain in Tokyo. It is a "No "frills operation and boasts "Everyday Low Price" (sic).... 


OK store is similar to your huge grocery store chains you have in the west. I wrote about OK Store before here: The Sexy Japanese Movie/TV Starlet and Me (Also Known As: The Formerly Famous TV Star-Lady at the Discount Grocery Store) 

OK Store opens at 8:30 am on weekdays and 8 am on weekends... I go there, like clockwork, almost every Monday, Thursday (and sometimes on Saturday). 

Since I can remember, at this particular OK Store, before they open for business, one can hear the easy-listening "elevator-lounge version" of Glen Campbell's Rhinestone Cowboy playing on the store's BGM (Background music) every morning at precisely 8:27 am. 

In the beginning, when I first heard it, I thought it was an amusing and pleasant coincidence to hear that song. Many times, I've thought they'd change the background music. You know, change the music every once in a while, or every season... But, no. Glen is still there everyday, every morning; just like the sun rises in the East. 

Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy" comes on, plays for a few minutes, then the song fades out and a woman's pleasant voice comes over the loud speakers welcoming customers to the store... and letting everyone know the day has begun.

This cycle has been going on since I can remember. 

I have been shopping at this particular OK store, as a regular, two or three times a week since it opened (at least fifteen years).... Because it's on the store's piped in music, I have been humming Rhinestone Cowboy in my head every time I go there during that entire period... (I always go just before opening time - I hate crowds). 

And whenever I go there and hear Rhinestone Cowboy, I am reminded of fond times in my childhood and my wonderful parents - especially my mom who was a really big fan of Glen Campbell.

Glen Campbell was so important to me and my very happy childhood. 

Thanks, Glen Campbell for some of my favorite songs in my youth... And thanks over these recent years for often reminding me of good times I had with my mom and dad.

Glen Campbell has many great songs.... Like I said, I have been humming his songs since I was a little boy - and I have been humming Rhinestone Cowboy 2 or 3 times a week over these same last fifteen years.... 

I imagine, if I am lucky, I will be humming it for at least the next fifteen years.

Rest in peace, Glen Campbell. 


Oh, and, whenever I hear Rhinestone Cowboy, I also immediately am reminded of Glen Campbell's - "Where's The Playground, Susie" from 1969. 
(If video doesn't play, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua_8LP802xY)

1 comment:

Andrew Joseph said...

Hey Mike... yeah... i always loved Rhinestone Cowboy, and share the same sentiments re: Glen Campbell. I used to see his show on TV as a kid - and enjoyed it!
Glad to hear he continues to get play in Japan!!!

Top 3 New Video Countdown for May 6, 2023! Floppy Pinkies, Jett Sett, Tetsuko!

   Top 3 New Video Countdown for May 6, 2023!!  Please Follow me at:  https://www.facebook.com/MikeRogersShow Check out my Youtube Channel: ...