Sunday, September 25, 2011

I Wish I Could Remain a Child Forever

I suppose it always happens like this for everyone. My father died last night. 


Last night, when I came home from work, I got a message that said, 


"Mike, 


I am so sorry to tell you this, your father passed away last night. I don't know the details, I am waiting for your brother to get home. Now he is at peace. 
Please call if you need to talk."


I don't need to talk about it. Just write, I suppose. 
When I heard the news, I wasn't shocked, but thought, "Gee, I just talked to him the other day and he seemed fine."
Well, maybe he wasn't fine but he sounded better than he did several weeks ago.
Before he died he told me that the only three things that ever mattered to him were the US marines, my mom and us three brothers.
My mom died about 16 years ago.
Hopefully, his spirit can reside with my mom's now. I said a prayer for him.

I have missed my mom all this time. I'll miss my dad. 
From today, now, I must take the position in my immediate family that my mom and my dad took. I must try to care for the children and make sure they are happy.
I used to be "the children" now I am the "grandfather."
I don't want to do the grandfather role. 
I wish I could remain a child forever. But I can't.


Today? Hug your parents if you still can and hug your kids... 


It seems like just yesterday that it was the 1960's and my parents had a house and a car. My mom was young and beautiful and she cooked, cleaned and took care of our school stuff... 


Dad was working, like all dads do... He also had black hair... He wrestled with us kids, took us to baseball games and he cooked barbecue... Like all dads do... 


One day, tomorrow is tomorrow and in the far-flung future... Then, one day, tomorrow is coming soon.... Then, out of the blue, tomorrow is here.


Soon, way too soon, tomorrow will be yesterday... Live it while you can!


NOTE: This is pretty weird, and I just realized it, but this is my 1000th posting on this blog. I was planning to write something profound for my 1000th... But all I got was this news that made me write this post about death... Weird, no?


Once again, in my life, with how these "coincidences" keep happening, I just have to throw my arms in the air and shrug my shoulders and say to the world, "Don't tell me that there's no God!"... (And I'm not even a Christian!)

5 comments:

egwhite said...

Mike, you may find that soon you will hear your parents in the form of words in your head,advice. There is no death only the forms dissolve. Your ancestors are in you and your progeny. Life goes on with in you and with out you. The child is still in all adults,the adult in every child. "I" see this now,"You" will too.peace ed

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear of the death of your father. My mother passed away a year ago. With her passing, she taught me one more lesson...

Life is short.

What is important, however, is what you do with the time that God allows us.

M.

Jimbo said...

Mike, I'm so sorry to hear this news, but at the same time, I'm glad that he is in a better place now. I'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Murasaki Shikibu said...

My sincere condolences, Mike. It is never easy to lose a parent.

Andy "In Japan" said...

Dear Mike san,
It's very sad to hear your Dad died. From all you have written about him, it's obvious there was a lot of love there.

All of your friends and on line supporters should acknowledge that he helped make you what you are, thus we can give thanks for his life and grieve even if we haven't met him.

Blessings and best wishes to you and your family at this difficult and sad time.
Andy in Japan

Top 3 New Video Countdown for May 6, 2023! Floppy Pinkies, Jett Sett, Tetsuko!

   Top 3 New Video Countdown for May 6, 2023!!  Please Follow me at:  https://www.facebook.com/MikeRogersShow Check out my Youtube Channel: ...