WILLIE WILLIAMS - ARMAGIDEON TIME
First off, let me state unequivocally that the mass media are involved in blatant sensationalism and grotesque scare mongering. Jerks. The crisis area is in Miyagi prefecture. That's 200 kilometers north of Tokyo. In Tokyo, our biggest problems are the store shelves are empty and rumors abound.
If one were to watch the news, it would seem that the entire country is underwater.
"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"
I suppose if you understand the beast that is television, then it is understandable why TV broadcasts the wildest scenes possible; that's how they get ratings. It is how they make their living.
For a good rule of thumb about television, always remember this: 90% of everything you see on TV is bullshit. The other 10% are commercials.
As of this very moment, the real crisis for TV news is how they are desperately trying to hold on to their now rapidly declining viewership as video images of things such as plumes of smoke coming out of a building - shot from a mile away - are not nearly as riveting to their audience as explosions at nuclear power plants. Nor can smoke coming from a building glue an audience to the TV set like towering buildings crumbling into the streets, close ups of massive tsunamis washing rubble, cars, trucks, and buildings across vast lands and destroying hundreds of millions of dollars of infrastructure in their wake.
Nope. Smoking buildings from afar and people in food lines do not make for exciting TV.
As with all disasters in the past, the people in the west and Japan - those outside the affected areas - will soon lose interest and then it will be back to whatever Charlie Sheen - or the next Hollywood star like him - is up to this week.
Japan has their share of scandalous gossip too... But not nearly as bad as the USA.
Call me cold, but that's the way it is in a consumer society.
Do not take my comments as being callous towards the poor unfortunate people whose lives have been forever altered by these tragic events, take these comments as a frontal assault on the sensationalist reporting by the mass media. Because of this sensationalism in the media,
The nuclear accident is happening in Fukushima just south of Sendai
Chicken Little is currently working in
upper-management at Coca-Cola Japan
"Business is very bad"