Wednesday, October 13, 2010

How Much Does a Pumpkin Cost in the West?

It's almost Halloween. Most recently, in Japan, retailers have caught on to Halloween and are trying to do whatever to get consumers to latch onto the season and spend more.


Even my local grocery store that sells absolutely no foreign foods had a pumpkin on sale. I bought it.




It cost ¥1,980 yen. Plus 5% sales tax it comes to ¥2,079 yen. At today's US dollar rate that equals about $25.40. At today's Euro rate that equals about €19.


Years ago, Japan was thought to be prohibitively expensive. But I'll bet that this is a pretty good price today.


Any of my foreign readers care to comment?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The big question is, besides you and your family, who's going to appreciate it?

mike in tokyo rogers said...

Good question. But, if myown family is happy then that's enough, right?

Top 3 New Video Countdown for May 6, 2023! Floppy Pinkies, Jett Sett, Tetsuko!

   Top 3 New Video Countdown for May 6, 2023!!  Please Follow me at:  https://www.facebook.com/MikeRogersShow Check out my Youtube Channel: ...