Thursday, May 10, 2012

Japanese Box Lunches - By Regular People and by Punk Rockers!



In the west, when people are on a budget and don't want to spend money on eating out, they take sandwiches to work or school for lunch. Those lunches are packed in "Bags" and, hence, called "Bagged Lunches" by the savages who live in the west.


"Eat me or dieeeeeeeee!"


For the cultured folks of the far east, they don't eat bread, they eat rice... Actually rice is healthier for you than bread because bread has all sorts of things in it like butter (margarine?) and salt, etc... Rice is just rice.


But I digress..


In Japan, people pack a boxed lunch of rice and other gruel. This box of food is commonly referred to as, "Bento." Bento means, "Boxed lunch." (I think.) According to Wikipedia:


Here is a picture of a typical boring boxed lunch:

Boring bento box....

Here is a picture of a cool lunch that is packed by my punk rock friends who have waaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands:



Thanks to my friend Duncan Redmonds of the punk band Snuff (crazy f*ckers!) and "Den Den Mushi Mushi":



4 comments:

Murasaki Shikibu said...

The effort someone has put into this is amazing! I think some kids would love this.

Anonymous said...

Boy that looks excellent!

Anonymous said...

My online translate won't do the snuff song because its romanji :(
Den Den mushi mushi katatsumuri
Omae no atama wa dokoniaru
Tsuno dase yari dase atama dase

mike in tokyo rogers said...

Dear Anonymous,
The song is about snails and how they stick out antenna with eyes... Not much in deep lyrics I don't think!

Top 3 New Video Countdown for May 6, 2023! Floppy Pinkies, Jett Sett, Tetsuko!

   Top 3 New Video Countdown for May 6, 2023!!  Please Follow me at:  https://www.facebook.com/MikeRogersShow Check out my Youtube Channel: ...